Champions of the Sun
A character whose Initiative value drops to 0 or below is in a state of Initiative Crash. He’s on the ropes, having utterly lost control of the fight. So long as a Crashed character remains in that state, the following special rules apply:
- A Crashed character is considered to have Hardness 0 (see p. 195) regardless of any magic or equipment employed, unless it explicitly states that it provides Hardness in Crash.
- A character in Initiative Crash cannot launch decisive attacks.
- A character in Initiative Crash can’t use Charms with the Perilous keyword (see p. 253).
- Withering attacks continue to affect a Crashed character normally, driving his Initiative deeper into negative values and granting Initiative to his attackers. However, if the Storyteller decides that a Crashed character has no hope of recovery against his opponents, and that his continued presence will only serve to give the players a “free” source of Initiative, she can declare the Crashed character defeated the next time he suffers a successful withering attack.
- If a character survives three consecutive turns spent in Initiative Crash, his Initiative resets to 3 at the beginning of his next turn. This is known as “Resetting to base Initiative.”
- If a character enters Initiative Crash as a result of his own actions (such as by using a disengage action, which costs 2 Initiative to attempt, with only 2 Initiative remaining), he immediately loses another 5 Initiative.