Champions of the Sun
- Freya was born to a minor offshoot of House Peleps. She was a beautiful and bright child and her House’s patron, Yaun Algo Peleps, saw an opportunity. He pulled Freya from her parents and placed her in a school for gifted children…children they hoped would Exalt to the Dragons.
- Freya was young enough when this happened that she has no memory of her parents—she does however, remember the school. This finishing school was funded and run by the Peleps Kaizoku Household who saw and used the children as resources to further the House’s agenda and standing in society. The instructors were strict and cruel, offering no sympathy or attention to those they deemed as “weak” children. Freya was often scolded and ridiculed, told that her looks made her greedy and arrogant. Freya often rebelled against her tutors in ways she knew they couldn’t link back to her…she enjoyed watching the chaos enfold…and on more than one occasion her tutors told her she had a wild heart.
- Freya was trained to be an intellectual and a socialite, with hardly much thought given to martial talent. She was slated to be used by House Peleps as a marriage bargaining chip for furthering their Realm connections…the House was simply waiting for her to Exalt to up her worth. And if she didn’t Exalt…well, there were places for beautiful mortal women as well…and Freya was told many times if she didn’t Exalt she’d wind up as a great Lord’s concubine.
- But Freya did Exalt…in her early teens, just not like House Peleps had hoped. Instead of a high breeding daughter of the Dragon, Freya exalted to the Sun, born of Twilight.
- Freya had been alone in her room that evening, reading, learning…knowing she could make herself into something her House would be proud of if she just learned enough. She had snuck an old tome about the history of creation from the schoolmaster’s personal library and was engrossed in it’s details when she noticed the inside of the book cover was loose. She plucked at the paper and realized something was glued behind the cover. Freya pulled the paper back to reveal a handwritten note. In beautiful golden calligraphy, on parchment so fine and soft it felt like satin, was written a simple message. And as Freya read the words it was as if she could hear them spoken aloud from some far off place…“You are more than you know, and if you truly believe that, then you will be blessed by his light.” And as the sun slipped past the horizon Freya swore she could feel the heat of it’s rays even after it had vanished. It wasn’t until the House was in an uproar that she realized her entire room was bleached white.
- Her House was outraged and embarrassed over her Exaltation, but ever the opportunist her House’s patron, Algo son (saun), knowing Freya had little to no combat training, held her as a prisoner. If she couldn’t be a marriage asset, then she could be enslaved and used to make the House artifacts.
- When Algo son was unable to get her to produce wonders for the House, Kaizoku Peleps became involved. The next few years were the worst in Freya’s life. At the hands of her “family” she was tortured, starved, beaten…anything they could subject her to in order to try and convince her to craft for them. The only thing that remained untouched was her virtue…Kaizoku knew that, in the very least, her beauty and purity would afford him jade. Some of the torture consisted of partially drowning her, and her affinity with the Wyld, let her to develop gills. Kaizoku saw this as proof of her skill as a Twilight and the torture became more severe for many months before, in the end, they deemed her “talentless” even in her Exaltation and she was sold to a wealthy Merchant Lord from Wavecrest in Western creation for his personal harem.
- Freya was transported from the Realm to the West in shackles, booed in the streets by those that were once her family, friends and countrymen. She spent weeks aboard a Realm ship that bound her to the West, where she was forced to stay hunched in a small cell with barely more than water to survive.
- Arriving in the West she barely had enough energy to stand, let alone fight, and her new owner Lord Ebisu saw her as no threat. He transported her, shackled but relatively unguarded, back to his estate. Unfortunately for Lord Ebisu, without watchful eyes on her, Freya’s connection to the Wyld kicked in and spitting fire on her ropes, she was able to burn herself free. She summoned a water elemental who helped her escape, her sights set on fleeing to the Wyld.
- Lord Ebisu gave chase, and since she was so weak from her travels, he caught up with her at the Bordermarches. But it was too late, Freya could already feel the pull of the Wyld and unleashed shaping magic that brought the wrath of a Raksha on Lord Ebisu and his men…killing them all. She used their deaths to buy her time to escape the Raksha’s notice and fled.
- Freya, weak from the journey to the west, her impromptu escape and from lack of food and water was stumbled upon by a group of Tya women. They could see that she was in need and they brought her back to their village. They offered her food and drink and asked that she share her story in return. Freya did, even going so far as to trust the women with the knowledge that she was a Solar. The Tya women were genuine in their offer to want to help Freya, but also excited at the chance to bring an Exalt into their folds, and offered her a place among their people. Freya trusted the women and longed for a place to belong and feel cared for so she agreed.
- Freya completed the Tya ceremony, drank of the shellfish (a secret Tya concoction) to render her temporarily sterile and let the village’s tattooist line her face with the tattoos that would mark her as Tya. She’s been with the Tya for a little over 6 months and is called Taj among them. She desguises her overly noticeable appearance by donning male falcon armor that the village blacksmith provided.
- Born to Dragon Blooded House Peleps
- taken by her House’s patron, Yaun Algo Peleps, at age 3 to begin training at “finishing school”
- finishing school was run by Peleps Kaizoku
- exalted at age 15
- held captive and tortured by House Peleps from age 15-17
- sold to Lord Ebisu at age 17
- escaped Lord Ebisu within first week
- taken in by the Tya women, has been with them 6 months
- currently 18 years old